Buy Your New Home in North Israel …
A moshav in northern Israel, a healthy agricultural community with a comfortable population of about 600-700 residents. Located on Mount Arbel next to the Sea of Galilee near Tiberias, it falls under the jurisdiction of Lower Galilee Regional Council.
Arbel was established in 1949 by demobilized soldiers on the lands of the depopulated Arab village of Hittin, whose residents fled/were expelled during the 1948 Arab–Israeli War. It was initially a moshav shitufi, but became a moshav ovdim in 1959.
Arbel is notable for the ruins of an ancient synagogue, one of the oldest synagogues in the world, which stands amid the remnants of an ancient Jewish village on the western edge of the moshav. The door of the synagogue, still standing, was carved from a massive natural outcropping of limestone, and the synagogue itself situated so as to make use of the stone as a handsome door. It is carved with decorative floral motifs and medallions. A carved groove for a mezuzah can be seen. Three sides of the building had carved stone benches. The two story building had three rows of columns with Corinthian capitals on the first floor and Ionic capitals on the second floor.